The art challenge for the Documented Life Project for week 42 was : “Stars”.
I’ve been trying to add more watercolor practice into my creative exercises and decided to make a watercolor galaxy filled with stars for this challenge. While the paint was wet I sprinkled course salt onto the paint and let it dry. The salt absorbs the pigment in the paint creating lighter areas of paint around the salt crystals. When the salt dried, I brushed it off to reveal my stars in the galaxy.
I used star cookie cutters in three sizes to draw my stars. Each size is a different color drawn with Micron pens. After I drew the outline I added the scribble lines to give my stars some texture.